Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Buried alive.

I feel like if I blog about something, then my decisions are "public". And if I know people know about the little thoughts that go on in my head, I may be more committed to them. At least I can hope so.

But, I'm just going to put out there the horrible truth. Since May, I have gained about 22 lbs. I'm not one to worry about the scale much with all of my exercising and whatnot, but something has got to give. I don't overeat, but my eating is sporadic. Outside of my medical stuffs that I am figuring out (something with adrenal glands and DHEAS hormone and/or PCOS), I've got to face the facts: my body is selfish. It loves to hoard the fat. I should make it go on that show on TLC about the hoarders - Buried Alive.


That is my body. But with food. It doesn't know how to throw it out well. So I'm going to teach it.

I'll never be able to erase that memory of seeing actual fat tissue when someone's cut open in surgery. I got to watch a few in nursing school...that's enough to make a person run away from food. 

Not that I'm running away from food. Food is good. I love it just as much and probably more than the next person.  But I love a good challenge. Add the word "challenge" onto anything and I will probably do it just to prove myself. It's like when I was little, my brothers and sisters would ask me to get something, and tell me they would time me to see how fast I could. A challenge? Yes! I think so. Maybe that's why I stayed skinny when I was little. Forget the challenge....I'll just sprint to get everything I need. Haha.

I guess I'm a firm believer that medicine can only go so far. And for a majority of health care problems, prevention is key. So if I want to have high blood pressure in 5 years, go ahead and eat those chicken nuggets, Shelly. Kidding. But I am starting the Body for Life challenge on Monday for 12 weeks. Totally committed, eating 6 times a day, one free day a week, exercising 6 days a week, committed. I've found some ladies starting on the same day and am so excited to hear about their journeys.

If you've  never heard of Body for Life, it's not some crazy point-counting thing that confuses me just thinking about it. Eat 6 times a day, small meals, pair a protein with a carb and add in veggies twice a day. I love it. I think it should be called the normal, healthy, what-everyone-should-be-doing plan. But I'm a little biased. Enough ranting. But at the end of this, I'm pretty sure those undies are going to be looking a little better on me.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you! I know you can do it and you are smart to get control while you are young - it is harder when you get older - and I love how you sneak in the "undies" into your blog somehow or another. I will be cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thanks Donna! You are so sweet.

    ReplyDelete