Friday, May 6, 2011

down & derby.

So lately I've been strapping four wheels onto each foot and attempting to look cool, a.k.a. roller derby! Probably one of the best decisions in my entire life. A workout that doesn't feel like a workout. Something that I feel pretty awesome even having the guts to try doing. And not to mention, all of the ladies that do it are ahhhh-ma-zing. Talented, beautiful, and friendly ladies. That clap for you when you fall down. It's a win-win situation.

The best thing about it all though, is the liberty to wear pretty much whatever you want and fit right in. In the derby dictionary, "no-pants" night = wear underwear or shorts so short they could be underwear with whatever choice of hosiery you prefer. The pair I wore the other night over some pink pantyhose:


 Why, hello there. These make me so happy. Not to mention I wore them to Piper Down afterwards with a few of the girls. The polite people were ones that actually asked instead of just staring.

One thing I've learned though, is derby isn't all about looking pretty. Those girls just make gliding around on skates look easy. If you still think it's easy, try to strap them on after 15 years and try to turn around in them. Not so easy. I'm in a beginning group (yay soy-cheezies!) and we pretty much do all sorts of drills to learn how to skate. Only after we start feeling comfortable on them do they throw us on the track and pray for our souls when someone throws a hit.

Out of all the different sports/yoga/pilates I've done, pretty sure derby takes care of the thighs like no other. A bonus for me since God truly blessed me in that area. Regardless of the workout and feeling cool in fishnets, I'll say it again. These women are amazing ladies that juggle all sorts of things in their lives and still manage to be derby girls. Love it.

If anyone would like more info, you can check out The Red Rockettes on facebook. It's a rec league with newbies and veterans alike all there for the sport.

You, too, can wear your fishnets and be proud...

5 comments:

  1. You said "strap on"....heheheheeeee

    (oh, and this is Bruiser)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, your blog has officially been Derby-ized, with Bruiser's strap-on comment. Love love love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, I love this blog. Few things are higher on my list of awesomness than a blog devoted to undies.
    Second of all, I love your bum saying undies you wear to derby. They make me so happy. At least 50% of derby (if not more)for me is getting a chance to wear whatever the crap I want.

    ReplyDelete
  4. awww, thank you! i heart your awesome weekly tights...

    ReplyDelete